What is the Value of Influencer Marketing?
What is an influencer?
An influencer is a person who is regarded as an expert within their particular field that also has a steady following. People trust their opinions, and thus their endorsements carry a considerable amount of weight.
Why is influencer marketing so important?
Trust is an important part of modern marketing. According to Nielsen, customers trust ‘earned media’, such as reviews and recommendations, more than any other type of marketing. Influencer marketing acknowledges that need for trust and recommendations that consumers want to see.
Since people already follow the influencer and regard them as an industry leader, the recommendations that they make about brands are very important.
When you develop a relationship with an influencer, you can tap into that power and grow your own brand. There are a number of ways that influencers can help promote you and your business.
- They can like or share the content you post on social media.
- They can offer you space on their website for you to write a blog post.
- They can endorse you on their own platforms.
The more personal the recommendation the influencer makes, the more value it will hold for your efforts. Some studies have found that the average engagement rate for influencer marketing is 16 times higher than it is for other forms of marketing, such as paid advertising.
How can I get started using influencer marketing?
- Identify influencers who are active in your industry. Make sure to narrow the list down to those who have an audience that mirrors your own.
- Build a relationship with the influencer. No one likes being asked to do someone else a favor that they just met. Interact with the influencer, such as commenting on their content or engaging with them in conversation on social media.
- Produce high-value content that actually offers something new to the influencer’s followers.
- Ask the influencer for a blog post, endorsement or other acknowledgement.
Influencer marketing is a valuable resource for many brands. It helps to make marketing personal and build relationships with large audiences. Evaluate your own industry and see who might be able to help propel your brand forward.