The Value of the Title Tag
What is a title tag?
A title tag is what appears above the URL on the search engine results page. It is one of the factors that influences whether a user will click on the link. For example, the title tag: <title>Content Performance Marketing and SEO Blog | BrightEdge</title> will appear as:
What is the significance of the title tag?
There is some disagreement over the importance of the title tag. A page with poor-quality content can stamp an awesome title tag on their content and see little to no impact, and high-quality pages can be ranked well even without a stand-out title tag.
While some argue that the tag has little significance, the value of the title tag comes in its ability to draw clicks and entice people to learn more about your site. A good title tag tells users that this is an article that will answer their question and encourage them to click. Thus, a good title tag can help increase your traffic and engagement rates, improving your ranking.
How do I create a title tag that people will appreciate?
- Use keywords that help accurately capture the value and content of your page.
- Be brief but effective. Keep the title tag under 55 characters. You do not want your title to get truncated, and there is limited space available for the tag.
- Create a tag that captures the eye and engages people immediately.
- Create a unique tag for every page. This will keep you from being penalized for duplicate content.
- Always review your tag after you have finalized your content to make sure it is still a good fit.
- Monitor your page traffic, such as with the BrightEdge Page Reporting tool, to see how it is performing.
- Make adjustments when necessary.
The title tag can influence how many people click on your link and engage with your brand. Keep these guidelines in mind and create tags that people are inclined to click to maximize your SERP visibility.
- Era of Content - create content that measurably performs
- BrightEdge Site Audit - find out where you are missing title tags