Humor is a great way to connect with an individual or an audience. Industry-specific jokes have the additional benefit of reinforcing the identity of its members by requiring industry knowledge to appreciate the joke or the pun.
At BrightEdge I introduce the marketing demand generation group and the practice of SEO on the last day of new-hire training right before lunch and the exam. The trainees are usually a little saturated with new information, so I tell SEO jokes to bump up the energy initially or restore it if I see them glazing over. I started collecting and writing industry jokes about a year ago and now have more than 70.
The basic structure of SEO jokes:
For the pre-setup you need something clear like: Wanna hear a joke? or Wanna hear an SEO joke? Just before the setup, it's best to smile and enjoy the joke a bit before you say it to warm up what is almost always a serious or skeptical audience. (Do you have tracking on that joke? That joke might convert for you, but it probably won't convert for me. Actually, yes and probably not.)
After the setup comes the pause, which is usually the most difficult part to manage. Let the setup hang for about 3 seconds. If you go longer the audience feels toyed with, shorter and they do not have a chance to figure it out. Then, deliver the punchline and wait a few seconds for the mental cognition and then the knowing grin. I have found that it's best to tell 3 jokes at a time to help set expectations and give the listeners cues on the joke pattern and a chance to guess the answer, but not so many jokes that they tire of them. There has been a lot of speculation in the news about algo updates lately, so let's start with some algo jokes (that was the pre-setup).
- Why do they call it the Mini-Panda update? . . . Because it finds content that is a little bare.
- What is the motto of the Cartesian SEO? . . . hint: Descartes wrote, "I think, therefore I am" so . . . "I link therefore I am.
- What do SEOs use when they go fishing? . . . Linkbait.
- What does the SEO use besides consonants? . . . Disavowels.
- What 2 things do SEO pre-schoolers have at break? . . . Cookies and link juice boxes.
- Why do SEOs hate watery oatmeal? . . . Thin content.
- What music do SEOs like? . . . ALT=ernative.
- Why do SEOs love the farmer's market? . . . Lots of organic content.
- Why do SEOs like monkeys? . . . Long tails.
- What does an SEO call 3 bottles of microbrew? . . . A local 3-pack.
- Why are SEOs good at game shows? . . . They know how to get Quick Answers.
- How do the SEOs increase the chances their rock band will be discovered?. . . By turning up the AMP.
- What kind of fruit do SEOs like best? . . . Low hanging.
- What is the optimum view for an SEO? . . . Page view.
- Why did the SEO cross the road? ....He wanted to get hit with traffic.
- Mobile joke: Why do mobile marketers make good parents? . . . They are responsive.
If you are done with the jokes and want to get serious about SEO success and learn more about SEO management, demo the BrightEdge platform.