Optimizing for the Google 3-Pack
What is the Google 3-Pack?
The Google 3-Pack is the way that Google displays the top results for a local SERP. It includes three local businesses based on the location where the customer submits a query.
The Google 3-Pack was introduced in August 2015 when the former Google 7-Pack was cut down to three. This caused considerable conversation in the marketing world, as people became concerned about the increased competition for getting into one of those highly valued three spots.
The Google 3-Pack is different from the 7-Pack in a few ways beyond just the reduced number of listings. It focuses on links to brand’s business sites, rather than relying as much on Google+ pages for ranking. Google also changed how information was displayed. The Google 3-Pack shows business hours and addresses rather than phone numbers, making it easier for mobile users to navigate to businesses in the 3-Pack.
Can I optimize to make sure I appear on the Google 3-pack?
Yes and no. No, because the businesses that appear on the Google 3-Pack are location dependent. In other words, they change depending upon where the person conducting the search is located. On the other hand, you can optimize your web presence in a way that will increase your chances of appearing in the 3-Pack when it comes up for a query that is applicable to you.
How do I optimize for the Google 3-Pack?
- Make sure your Google+ Local page is completely filled in and up-to-date.
- Cultivate reviews on your Google+ account. Receiving multiple positive reviews can be very beneficial when it comes to boosting your visibility, particularly since Google reviews and stars will be plainly visible on the 3-Pack.
- Make sure all listing information – including your business’ name, address, and phone number – are accurate and consistent throughout the web.
- Cultivate locally relevant links to boost your visibility. There are a number of ways you can cultivate reputable links, such as sponsoring local nonprofits and events or joining a Chamber of Commerce.
- Build standard backlinks to raise your organic rank. Backlinks are best cultivated through outstanding, well-distributed content that attracts readers.
- Build a strong presence on social media and other platforms to establish yourself as a local business with loyal followers.
Appearing in the Google 3-Pack can be a wonderful way to attract attention to your brand and encourage people to engage with you. Keep these guidelines in mind and work to create a superior web presence to maximize your chances of appearing on these lists.